How to Plan a Fundraiser for Darfur
The Save Darfur Coalition appreciates the money activists and donors give, and we are careful to use it wisely through our advocacy, communications, international, and lobbying programs. These programs raise awareness and mobilize a massive response to the atrocities in Darfur, pressing world leaders to take action. We would be happy to share our annual report with you upon request.
Activists around the world have done many creative things to raise money to help the people of Darfur. Below is a list of many helpful ideas; however, we encourage you to think about the people and resources you have around you to create an event which best suits your community. You can use our event planning guide if you choose to do a fundraising event. You can also contact us and we will be able to answer your questions and offer suggestions about ideas you might have.
- Hold a bake sale, carwash or yardsale. Hand out information about Darfur and sell wristbands to spread awareness.
- If you have access to a student radio or television station, hold a telethon. Use the time to both educate listeners and to raise funds.
- Have a local band or choir hold a benefit concert.
- Organize a run or walk which community members can join. Use pledges and entry fees to benefit Darfur.
- Host a camp out in solidarity with displaced persons in Darfur. Use the event to both raise awareness and get pledges of support from community members.
- Fast from food or buying things for a day. Give the money saved to support the Darfur cause.
- Sell wristbands—this helps raise awareness and money for Save Darfur.
- Invite a speaker to talk about the Darfur genocide and how your community can get involved.
- Host a film screening and donate the ticket sales.
- Use goodsearch.com to search the internet. Money goes to Save Darfur every time you search when you make SDC your default charity.
- Ask for donations in lieu of birthday, anniversary or wedding gifts.
- Use missionfish.org to give a portion of the money earned from eBay auctions.
- If you make a gift, be sure to check and see if your company has a matching gift program.
If you collect checks they can be made out directly to the Save Darfur Coalition. It is safest if you make your cash into a money order at the local post office or grocery store. After your event simply bundle all the checks together and mail to:
Save Darfur Coalition
3246 Solutions Center
Washington, DC 60677
Be sure to include a letter letting us know what your event was! Thank you in advance for your work to help solve the crisis in Darfur.